It seems that Nokia is set to impress its users today, as the release of new mobile phone powered by the new Symbian^3 operating system was accompanied by the launch of a new version of the company's Ovi Maps solution, namely Ovi Maps v3.06.Currently available from the Nokia Beta Labs in a beta version, the Ovi Maps v3.06 comes with a wide range of enhancements when compared to the previously available Ovi Maps v3.04.
The main feature of Ovi Maps are unchanged, of course, including the possibility to enjoy free Drive or Walk in 78 countries, or to explore places and share them with friends over social networking sites, not to mention that one can check on his/her location on the map.
As for the changes in the new release, we can count:
- Visually refreshed main menu and icons,
- New maps with public transport lines (as a new map layer) for subways, trams and trains in 80+ cities around the world. Just click the map toolbox icon and select Transit lines,
- Check in - keep your friends up-to-date with where you are and what you're up to. Check into places and share it with your friends on Facebook and many more social networks. See places you’ve been to in your check in history,
- New Drive assistance mode with live traffic flow - after clicking Drive, you're instantly in drive assistance mode with live traffic flow and more. Once you start moving, get safety camera alerts and speed limit warnings,
- More folder with many rich content services relevant to your location. Personalize your Ovi Maps by selecting the services you'd like to keep on your main menu for instant access.
The search experience on Ovi Maps has been enhanced in the new release, offering users the possibility to easily find places or addresses near.
New place pages have been included into the equation too, providing description, reviews, pictures and places nearby, and enabling users to check in, contact, navigate, save, rate, share, report or see place on the map.
The new release also comes with better sharing features, offering the users the option to send a place via SMS or email.
“The SMS contains the address and a link to the place page with description, ratings, contact, URL and a mini map. The link opens up on the mobile browser (also on non-Nokia devices),” the company announced.
All in all, it seems that the new version of Ovi Maps comes with some major changes when compared to the previous release. More info on the matter can be found in the video below.
Ovi Maps v3.06 (beta) is available for download from Softpedia too, via this link.