Opera has just announced the release of a new flavor of their Opera Mobile 11.1 browser for devices running under Google's Android operating system, with a series of bug fixes included inside, and with a resolved security issue as well.
Some of the enhancements included in the new version of the application, namely Opera Mobile 11.1 update 2, are based on the feedback the development team received from users, the company announced, adding that all users should update to the new flavor of Opera Mobile for Android.
In the new release
, Opera included support for the larger screens of tablet PCs, and also packed support for font styles on Samsung Galaxy devices, in addition to a long series of fixes aimed at improving the experience users receive from the browser.
The release notes for the new Opera Mobile 11.1 update 2 for Android include:
- Added support for Honeycomb large screen compatibility mode
- Added support for font styles on Samsung Galaxy devices
- Fix for problem with text disappearing in text fields
- Fix for HTML5 <audio> tag auto-play
- Fix for mismatched RGB colors on some devices
- Fix for black screen when starting Opera Mobile on some devices
- Fix for various stability issues on certain devices
- Fix for various font issues on certain devices
- Security update fix (see below)
- Permissions: See bit.ly/opera_permissions.
As stated above, the new application release
also comes with a fix for a security issue that involved cache files with less-than-necessary restrictive permissions.
This offered other applications the possibility to read and modify Opera's cache files, which could have resulted in access to sensitive information or in the performing cross site scripting against target sites.
“Apps on Android are supposed to be isolated, so that in general, they cannot access files belonging to other apps,” Opera explains.
“This is a security feature of Android that is intended to provide some level of protection against malicious apps, preventing them from being able to modify the behavior of other apps. Before this release, Opera created cache files with permissions that were not restrictive enough.”
The new Opera Mobile
11.1 update 2 for Android is available for download from Softpedia via this link