O2 Delivers Android 2.1 for Dell Streak on September 1st
This fall seems to be the software updates season in the UK, at least when it comes to a series of highly popular Android-based devices, including the Dell Streak.The Android-based tablet was launched in the UK on O2's airwaves a while ago, though with an older flavor of Google's Android operating system on board, namely Android 1.6.
However, it seems that O2 is set to deliver the first software update for the slate in a matter of days, and that this solution would be Android 2.1 Eclair.
Some previous rumors on the matter suggested that the wireless carrier would indeed plan delivering a new Android OS flavor for Streak sometime in September, and it seems that the very first day of the month would be the lucky day for enthusiasts.
Even if Dell announced that it is readying the Android 2.2 Froyo update for Streak, it seems that, on September 1st, the tablet would get the Android 2.1 update from O2 (leaked a few weeks ago).
Moreover, a recent post on The Really Mobile Project (via SlashGear) suggests that Streak users should benefit from a wide range of enhancements with the new solution, including 720p HD video recording, or live wallpaper support.
According to the said post, the Android 2.1 ROM for the device was already set out to users for testing purposes, and the changelog should include the following:
- Added: 720p video recording from the rear facing 5MP camera.
- Added: Native multi-touch support including gestures such as “pinch-to-zoom”.
- Added: Document editing via the QuickOffice application.
- Added: Support for ‘live wallpapers’.
- Added: Support for multiple mail accounts including Exchange email and contacts sync.
- Improved: Look and feel of phone dialer for managing calls.
- Improved: Application compatibility with apps in the Market requiring Android 2.0+.
- Improved: Many speed and performance optimizations.
Wednesday should bring the said software update to all Streak owners on O2 UK's airwaves, so keep an eye on this space for more on the matter, including the official release notes.
HOT RIGHT NOW