Mobile phone maker Motorola Mobility has just started to deliver a new software update for the Motorola ATRIX 4G smartphone, bringing it up to Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
The software update is now available for download from Motorola, after being pushed out to beta testers only a few days ago.
According to Motorola, ATRIX 4G owners who would like to upgrade their devices to the new Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS flavor should connect to a WiFi network for that.
The download will be performed only via the WiFi network. As soon as the handset loses WiFi connectivity, the download will pause, and will be resumed only when the connectivity is restored.
The list of changes in the new Android 2.3 Gingerbread update for the Motorola ATRIX can be found at the bottom of this article.
The new update will arrive on all devices that sport software Blur_Version.4.1.83.MB860.ATT.en.US. The update will bring firmware version Blur_Version.4.5.91.MB860.ATT.en.US to smartphones.
Before kicking off the update process, users should make sure that their handsets are fully charged. They would also need to have a microSD memory card inside the device, with at least 200 MB of free space.
Android 2.2 should also be on the device. The entire software update should be completed in about 25 minutes, Motorola notes.
Motorola also notes that optimal performance is ensured for handsets that were not modified in any way.
Before starting the update process, users should also have a look at the release notes, available on Motorola's support website.
As soon as the new software update is made available for a specific device, a notification will pop-up on the ATRIX 4G. After connecting to a WiFi network, users can hit the download button to get the software.
Users can also perform manual searches for the new software update through heading to Menu->Settings->About phone-> System updates.
The new upgrade for the Motorola ATRIX 4G on AT&T's airwaves includes:
- Enhancements to the picture Gallery allow you to aggregate all your photos, your friends’ photos and photo comments from social networking and photo sites like Facebook and Picasa in one place for easy viewing
- Enhancements so your Music player is now connected to a dashboard for music discovery. Plus, easy access to all your favorite artists, live, personalized recommendations for songs & videos and news and event updates
- Updated user interface with simpler home screen design, including shift to use of white backgrounds in menus, enabling better viewing experience
- Enhancement that enables easy access to favorite apps at bottom of each screen
- Enhancement that helps you personalize and categorize favorite apps into groups so you can be more efficient
- Enhancement that provides access to social content in one place so you can find out what is happening around you. You can use Yelp reviews and Facebook check-ins to find out what others are recommending
- Enhancement to webtop application includes Firefox 4.0 so you can browse faster than Browsing with previous versions of Firefox
- Enhancement that now enables HD Video Playback in 1080p for better viewing experience
- Create groups for multiple recipient emails so you can communicate faster Emails
- One touch conference Enhancement that makes it easier to dial-in to conference bridges while you’re call access on-the-go
- Enhancement that makes it easier to create, edit & delete tasks, and to assign priorities and reminders
- Enhancements to business ready security features so you can get more work done on-the-go which includes robust VPN, device and SD card encryption, device management via 3rd party console and remote wipe capability
- Enhancement that enables you to dismiss notifications one at a time.