Apple has released a major new update for users of its professional video editing software, Final Cut Pro X 10.1, featuring optimizations for the all-new Mac Pro (Late 2013) model and numerous other perks.Existing users can download Final Cut Pro X 10.1 for free from the Mac App Store, while newcomers still have to pay the relatively legit price of $299.99 in the United States and €269.99 in Europe.
The new version optimizes playback and rendering when using the dual GPUs inside the brand spanking new Mac Pro which Apple just put out for sale today.
The Mac Pro (Late 2013) model can output outstanding graphics on 4K monitors, so it’s no surprise that the updated FCP X also offers support for “video monitoring up to 4K via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI on select Mac computers,” with 4K content including titles, transitions, and generators, according to the release notes.
Users can now gather multiple events and projects within a single bundle in their Libraries, while individual libraries can be easily opened to load only the stuff that is needed for a particular editing session.
Users now have the option to import media to locations inside or outside a library, and they can now back up their projects to an external location. Other highlights can be found below, but do check out the full release notes if you’re interested in seeing all the changes.
• Project Snapshots let you quickly capture the project state for fast versioning
• Audio fade handles on individual audio channels in the timeline
• Add precise retime speeds by entering them numerically in the timeline
• Non-rippling retime option
• One-step Replace and Retime
• Custom project frame sizes
• Through edits displayed on all clip types
• Join Through Edit command removes bladed cuts to clips in the timeline
• Detach audio from Multicam Clips in the timeline to manipulate audio and video separately
• Make video or audio-only edits into the timeline with Multicam Clips as sources
• Blade and move audio in J- and L-cuts
• Roll audio with J- and L-cut splits open
• Option to hide the Browser to gain more screen space for viewing
• Native support for .MTS and .MT2S files from AVCHD cameras
• Used media indicators on source clips
• Improved performance with large projects
• Improved performance when modifying or adding keywords to many clips at once
• Easily move, copy, and paste multiple keyframes
• Option for linear animation with Ken Burns effect
• Improved image stabilization with InertiaCam and Tripod mode
• Import photos from iOS devices
• Proxy and playback quality controls accessible in Viewer menu
• Support for portrait/landscape metadata in still images
• Effects parameters, fonts, and text size included in XML metadata
• Improved support for growing media and edit while ingest
• FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support
• API for custom Share operations using third-party software
• Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution
• Share directly to Chinese video sites Youku and Tudou
• Spanish language localization