Linux for PlayStation 2
allows you to run the versatile Linux operating system on a usual PlayStation 2 console. In addition to the Linux kit, you will require a PlayStation 2, 8MB Memory Card and a monitor with sync-on-green capabilities.
The kit is aimed at programmers and Linux enthusiasts and includes:
￭ Hard Disk Drive
- available to the operating system Linux only, not for use with PlayStation 2 games.
￭ Network Adapter
- 10/100MB (Note: No modem is included.)
￭ USB Keyboard
- USB, with a daisy-chain USB port for the mouse. (Note: All the keyboards have a US layout printed on them.)
￭ USB Mouse
- USB, standard three-button mouse with roller wheel as middle button.
￭ Monitor Cable Adaptor
- Connects from AV out on PlayStation 2 to VGA monitor cable. Also has two audio jacks for stereo speakers.
￭ DVD Disc Set
- Two DVDs containing the Linux OS, RTE and hardware manuals.
The DVDs contain the following:DISC 1
￭ The PlayStation 2 Runtime Environment
￭ PlayStation 2 System Manuals
￭ VCL (a utility to optimize VU code)DISC 2
￭ The Linux operating system
￭ Kernel version 2.2.1
￭ Xfree86 X-Windows version 3.3.6 with support for PlayStation 2 Graphics Synthesizer
￭ GCC 2.95.2 and GLIBC 2.2.2
￭ An alpha version of Mesa 3D supporting limited graphics acceleration
￭ PlayStation 2 Development Libraries, device drivers, tools and sample code