Linux Mint Xfce, a modern, elegant, and comfortable operating system based on Ubuntu and Debian, has just reached version 16 RC.The Xfce version of Linux Mint 16 “Petra” has finally arrived, shortly after the release of its KDE brethren. It will be some time before the stable version, but at least we have something to test.
“Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment which aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly. This edition features all the improvements from the latest Linux Mint release on top of an Xfce 4.10 desktop,” reads the announcement.
The Linux Mint developers have implemented Xfce 4.10 in their latest Mint flavor, and it comes with some nice features, such as an application finder, multiple rows, deskbar mode, actions plugin, window button, and improved file manager, applications autostart, and more.
Highlights of Linux Mint Xfce 16 RC “Petra”:
• The Whisker Menu has been upgraded to version 1.2 and comes with an option to load menu hierarchy, an option to not include favorites in recently used items, options to set custom commands, an option to show recently used items by default, and much more;
• Better out of the box support has been implemented for Pulse Audio, but also the ability for users to switch back to ALSA;
• MDM 1.4 was designed to work perfectly with Linux Mint 16, not only to log in but also to let you switch between users easily;
• A new tool has been developed to easily format USB sticks to NTFS, FAT32, and ext4;
• A number of performance improvements have been implemented.
Check out the official announcement for a complete list of changes and updates. Download Linux Mint Xfce 16 RC “Petra” right now from Softpedia.
Remember that this is a development version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.