Linux Kernel 3.8.7 Officially Released, Brings Tons of Fixes
A new version of the latest stable Linux kernel has been released
On April 12, Greg Kroah-Hartman announced the immediate availability for download of the seventh maintenance release for the stable Linux 3.8.x kernel series.The current release from the 3.8.x branch is quite stable and the changelog for this particular version, 3.8.7, is rather small, feature wise. Nonetheless, there are few important fixes and drivers implemented in the kernel.
Highlights of Linux kernel 3.8.7:
• A possible integer overflow has been fixed;
• User must avoid using an uninitialized value in from queue_var_store;
• A race between input_register() and probe() has been fixed;
• Request _OSC control before scanning PCI root bus";
• Several logic errors in bitops.c have been corrected;
• DMA is now stacking properly in the reading devslp_timing parameter;
• A memory leak that occurred on shutdown was fixed;
• Mappings are now restored correctly if drm_open fails;
• The registration order of the driver and of the DCA nofitication has been fixed;
• A warning and an inode are now working properly when deleting inode with xattrs;
• Consistently restore trace function when enabling sysctl;
• A quirk to invert brightness on eMachines G725, eMachines e725, and Packard Bell NCL20, has been added;
• irongate_io has been added to PCI bus resources;
• Spinlocks and preemption points need to be at least compiler barriers;
• The runtime PM of PCIe ports has been disabled;
• The Realtek ALC 671 codec has been enabled.
"I'm announcing the release of the 3.8.7 kernel. All users of the 3.8.x kernel series must upgrade."
"The updated 3.8.y git tree can be found at: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-0stable.git linux-3.8.y and can be browsed at the normal kernel.org git web browser: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=summary," said Greg KH in the email announcement.
As usual, the Linux kernel 3.8.7 is a must-grab update for all Linux users who use the Linux 3.7.x kernel. Therefore, upgrade as soon as possible.
Download Linux kernel 3.8.7 right now from Softpedia.
HOT RIGHT NOW