The latest version of Linux kernel, in this branch, can be downloaded from Softpedia
On February 28, Greg Kroah-Hartman announced the immediate availability for download of the first maintenance release for the stable Linux 3.8.x kernel series.The new release into the 3.8.x branch has arrived on the same day with the 3.7.9 version and it shares some of the same changes and improvements.
Moreover, it arrives after Greg Kroah-Hartman assured everyone that, despite all the rumors, that the 3.8.x branch will not be LTS (long term support).
“As people seem to be confused about this, I'd like everyone to know that the 3.8 kernel is NOT going to be a longterm kernel release that is supported by me, or by anyone else that I know of,” stated the Linux kernel maintainer on Google+.
Highlights of Linux kernel 3.8.1:
• PCI Express Capability accessors for PCI_EXP_FLAGS have been fixed;
• Default multichannel HDMI mapping regression has been repaired;
• Get a block reservation before resizing a file;
• Handle untiled planes when computing their offsets;
• Preserve the FDI line reversal override bit on CPT;
• Revert one application of "Fix unreachable code" patch;
• A workaround has been implemented for the silent output on Sony Vaio VGC-LN51JGB with ALC889;
• The ordering between deferred_probe and exiting initcalls has been corrected;
• The period symbol_conf.field_sep display has been fixed;
• Always unblock CSA queue stop when disconnecting;
• Purge existing TLB entries in set_pte_at and ptep_set_wrprotect;
• Allocate URB control message setup_packet and data buffer separately.
"I'm announcing the release of the 3.8.1 kernel. All users of the 3.8.x kernel series must upgrade."
"The updated 3.0.y git tree can be found at: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-0stable.git linux-3.0.y and can be browsed at the normal kernel.org git web browser: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=summary," said Greg KH in the email announcement.
As usual, the Linux kernel 3.8.1 is a must-grab update for all Linux users who use the Linux 3.7.x kernel. Therefore, upgrade as soon as possible!
Download Linux kernel 3.8.1 right now from Softpedia.