Linux Kernel 3.10 RC6 Officially Released by Linus Torvalds
The latest version of the Linux kernel can be downloaded from Softpedia
Linus Torvalds has announced the immediate availability of the sixth release candidate in the 3.10 branch of the Linux kernel.This sixth release in the 3.10 branch is quite consistent, according to Linus Torvalds, although not as large as the previous one.
“Another week, another rc. And I didn't even need to curse all that much at people. Sure, I talked smack about some of your hamsters, and I declined a couple of pull requests, but let's face it, it was pretty halfhearted. Most of the time things were good,” Linus Torvalds said in the official announcement.
This latest version doesn't bring anything major, but a lot of minor changes have gone in to the kernel.
“Most of the rest is pretty small, even if it's all over. Architectures: x86, powerpc, mips, arm, s390. Filesystems: ceph and xfs. And networking and driver updates (sound, wireless, md, gpu, block),” Torvalds further mentioned.
Highlights of Linux kernel 3.10 RC6:
• Incorrect zeroing and allocation size for frontswap_map have been fixed;
• WRITE is considered successful only if at least one non-Faulty and non-rebuilding drive completed it (md/raid1);
• An error in the zero copy request is handled correctly for 9p2000;
• A lockup related to stop_machine being stuck in __do_softirq has been fixed;
• Support has been added for Marvell Bluetooth device SD8897;
• Prefer VBT modes for SVDO-LVDS over EDID;
• The chip detection for ADM1021, LM84 and MAX1617 has been improved;
• A deadlock with CPU hotplug, RCU GP init, and timer migration has been fixed;
• The emulation of illegal instructions on PowerNV platform has been fixed.
A complete list of changes, improvements, and fixes can be found in the official changelog.
Download Linux kernel 3.10 Release Candidate 6 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a beta version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.
HOT RIGHT NOW