None other than the father of Linux, Linus Torvalds, announced last night, on December 2nd, the immediate availability for download of Linux kernel 2.6.32, a release that brings lots of improvements to the Btrfs filesystem, support for ACPI 4.0 and the S+core architecture, 3D and KMS support for the ATI Radeon R600/R700 graphics cards, support for Intel Moorestown, and many other goodies for all Linux users around the world.
"As to the 'big feature' changes in 2.6.32 since 31 – I think we have a release without any actual new filesystem for once, but there's been a fair amount of changes to btrfs, and the block layer writeback itself has been through major updates, and the whole per-bdi writeback thing is a pretty big change." – Linus Torvalds said in the official announcement at lkml.org.
Highlights of Linux Kernel 2.6.32:
· Per-backing-device-based writeback;
· Improvements to the Btrfs filesystem;
· Kernel Samepage Merging;
· Graphic stack improvements;
· CFQ low latency mode;
· Tracing improvements (perf timechart, perf tracepoints and perf sched);
· Memory controller soft limits;
· Improvements to virtualization;
· Run-time Power Management;
· Support for the S+core architecture;
· Support for ACPI 4.0;
· Support for Simple Firmware Interface;
· Support for Intel Moorestown;
· NAPI-like approach for block devices.
Let's take a look at some of the new major drivers and the newly supported devices introduced in the new Linux Kernel 2.6.32:
· Support for the ak4642/ak4643 codec;
· Openmoko Neo Freerunner (GTA02) audio driver;
· WM8523 CODEC driver;
· WM8776 CODEC driver;
· WM8961 driver;
· WM8974 CODEC driver;
· WM8993 CODEC driver;
· blackfin I2S (TDM mode) CPU DAI driver;
· MAX9877 amp driver.
· w90p910 nuvoton EHCI driver;
· at91sam9g45 USB EHCI driver;
· EEM gadget driver;
· Support for Intel Moorestown EHCI controller;
· ZTE AC2726 EVDO modem support;
· TELIT UC864G modem support;
· NXP ISP1362 USB host driver.
· Winbond WPCD376I Consumer IR hardware driver;
· Blackfin rotary input driver;
· ADP5588 QWERTY I2C Keypad driver;
· Atmel AT42QT2160 Sensor Chip driver;
· Maxim MAX7359 key switch controller driver;
· Opencores Keyboard Controller driver;
· w90p910 keypad driver;
· Sentelic Finger Sensing Pad driver;
· WM831x ON pin support;
· MELFAS MCS-5000 controller touchscreen driver;
· twl4030_keypad driver;
· PCAP2-based touchscreen driver.
· Texas Instruments TMP421/422/423 sensor chips driver;
· WM835x PMIC hardware monitoring driver;
· WM831x PMIC hardware monitoring driver;
· ACPI 4.0 power meters driver;
· S3C24XX series ADC driver.
· ACPI 4.0 support;
· Processor Aggregator Device driver;
· Topstar N01 hotkeys new driver;
· Keyboard backlight support on ASUS laptops.
· Marvell Bluetooth device driver;
· Marvell BT-over-SDIO driver;
· Monitor and Retransmission Timers support;
· Reassembly and Segmentation of SDUs support.
· IGD EOS support on the i915 driver;
· B43 chipset support on the i915 driver;
· 2430SDP LCD support;
· Amstrad Delta LCD support;
· Apollon LCD support;
· Gumstix Overo LCD support;
· OMAP2EVM LCD support;
· OMAP3 Beagle DVI output support;
· OMAP3 EVM LCD support;
· ZOOM MDK LCD support;
· HTC Dream framebuffer support;
· TI DA8xx/OMAP-L1xx framebuffer driver;
· TI DA8xx OMAP davinci driver;
· VX855 chipset support.
· Earthsoft PT1 driver;
· 774 Friio White USB ISDB-T receiver driver;
· DM6467 VPIF capture driver;
· Silicon Labs Si4713 I2C driver;
· Conexant cx25821 driver;
· Gadmei UTV330+ support;
· Magic-Pro ProHDTV Extreme 2 support;
· Samsung TBDU18132 DVB-S NIM support;
· Samsung TDTC9251DH0 DVB-T NIM support;
· Samsung TBMU24112 DVB-S NIM support;
· Alps TDEE4 DVB-C NIM support;
· Hauppauge HVR-185 ATSC/QAM support;
· STK7700D (DVB) support;
· Winfast DTV2000H revision J support;
· Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS remote control support;
· Tevii S630 USB DVB-S support;
· Humax/Coex DVB-T USB Stick 2.0 support;
· Avermedia Studio 505 support;
· Kaiser Baas Expresscard Dual HD Tuner support;
· BeholdTV X7 support;
· Rovermedia TV Link Pro FM support;
· Pinnacle USB device support;
· Reddo DVB-C USB TV Box support;
· ADV7180 initial support.
· ks8851_mll ETH network driver;
· Xilinx EMAC Lite driver;
· Marvell Libertas CF8305 support;
· EMS CPC-USB/ARM7 CAN/USB interface support.
These are just a few of the new drivers available in the Linux kernel 2.6.32. For a complete list of all the newly supported devices, newly added drivers, etc., please visit the official release notes page.
You can download the 2.6.32 Linux kernel sources right now from Softpedia.