Las Vegas Casino Evacuated As Ventilation Motor Gets Overheated

Smoke flooded 1,000 rooms in one of the Excalibur's towers

  Las Vegas' Excalibur casino was flooded with smoke when the ventilation system malfunctioned
The Excalibur casino in Las Vegas has been forced to evacuate guests from one of its four towers, because one of its ventilation motors started overheating.

The Excalibur casino in Las Vegas has been forced to evacuate guests from one of its four towers, because one of its ventilation motors started overheating.

St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the evacuation was carried on at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, February 5. According to MGM resorts spokesman Gordon Absher, guests were escorted out of the 28-floor facility.

They were welcomed back in two hours later, and no injuries have been reported during the incident.

Although smoke flooded the 1,000 rooms of the tower, casino reps clarified that there was no fire hazard and have since apologized for the inconvenience.

Dave Ward from Canada talks to reporters about a friend's experience during the smoke alert. He has been waken up and forced to leave the casino in the early hours of the morning.

He explained that the guest panicked and grabbed only a few essential items. The smoke created a smell reminiscent of that produced by burning plastic.

While Excalibur reps haven't announced any plans to compensate customers as of yet, the hotel plans to deal with complaints on a case-to-case basis.

A week ago, we informed you of a large fire that killed 230 people in a Brazilian night club. More than 2000 students and youngsters between the ages of 16 and 20 years old were present at the Kiss club in Santa Maria at the time.

232 of them lost their lives, mostly due to suffocation caused by inhaling smoke. A timely evacuation could not be executed as the facility was only equipped with one exit. At first, bouncers blocked said exit to prevent people from skipping their tabs.

The club did not provide fire extinguishers, and the roof was manufactured out of low-quality, flammable materials that caught fire instantly.

Comments