Canonical announced the immediate availability for download and testing of the second Beta release for the upcoming Kubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) operating system.Kubuntu 13.04 Beta 2 (Raring Ringtail) has been launched along with Ubuntu 13.04 Beta 2, and it seem to pack the most features, in comparison with the other releases.
Highlights of Kubuntu 13.04 Beta 2 (Raring Ringtail):
• The distribution is based on KDE Plasma and Applications 4.10.1. This means that a new screen locker, Qt Quick notifications, color correction in Gwenview, and faster indexing in the semantic desktop, have been added as new features;
• KDE Plasma and Applications 4.10.2 will be available shortly after this Beta release;
• Muon Suite 2 has been added in the distribution and introduces support for installing Plasma widgets found in KDE's KNewStuff framework from within Software Center and Muon Discover;
• Rekonq 2 has received an upgrade and it now supports in-line spell checking;
• Homerun, a full screen alternative to the Kickoff application menu, is now available;
• New screen management tools has been added, making it easy to attach and unattach extra monitors;
• A new font from KDE's artists has been added and it's called Oxygen Sans Font;
• Krita, the painting application used in Kubuntu, is now new calculations library Vc, making it twice as fast as before;
• LibreOffice has been updated to version 220.127.116.11;
• Kubuntu should now be able to support UEFI Secure Boot, a standard for controlling what software can be run on a computer;
• Linux kernel was updated to version 3.8.0-12.21, which is based on the upstream v3.8-rc6 Linux kernel.
Check out the official announcement for a complete list of changes and improvements.
Download Kubuntu 13.04 Beta 1 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.