The KDE Project just announced the immediate availability for download of the third RC of KDE Software Compilation 4.10 branch.
The KDE release candidates are pouring continuously and the desktop environment gets better and better with each edition.
As usual, the number of changes, updates and new features is through the roof.
Highlights of KDE 4.10 RC3:
• Qt Quick is continuing to make its way into the Plasma Workspaces. Plasma Quick, KDE's extensions on top of QtQuick allow deeper integration with the system and more powerful apps and Plasma components;
• Plasma Containments can now be written in QtQuick and various plasma widgets have been rewritten in QtQuick, notably the system tray, pager, notifications, lock & logout, weather and weather station, comic strip and calculator plasmoids;
• A new screen locking mechanism, based on QtQuick, now brings more flexibility and security to Plasma Desktop;
• Animated wallpapers are now much easier to create with the help of a new QtQuick-based wallpaper engine;
• A technique called tiled rendering allows Okular to zoom in much further while reducing memory consumption;
• Improvements in the Nepomuk semantic engine allow faster indexing of files;
• Gwenview, KDE's smart image viewer and Plasma's window manager now support color correction and can be adjusted to the color profile of different monitors, allowing for more natural representation of photos and graphics;
• Setup of printers and monitoring jobs was improved thanks to a new implementation of the Print Manager;
• Kate, KDE's Advanced Text Editor received multiple improvements regarding user feedback. It is now extensible using Python plugins.
Check out the official announcement
for a complete list of changes and improvements.Download the KDE 4.10 RC3
sources right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.