Softpedia is once again proud to introduce a new Linux distribution based on the popular Ubuntu OS from Canonical, this time with a modernized GNOME 2 desktop environment.
Like its developer said on the official website of the project, Descent|OS is an operating system created and designed with simplicity in mind, for people new to computers, for those who want a decent and good-looking Linux distribution to feed their needs.
Even if it's based on Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), Descent|OS uses the GNOME 2.32 desktop environment, but prettified and modernized as much as humanly possible, providing a cool mix of old and new technologies.
The desktop of Descent|OS features a single customized panel situated at bottom, and the Docky dock-like app on the left side of the screen.
Apps added in Descent|OS:
· Pidgin 2.7.11 instant messenger;
· Chromium 14.0 web browser;
· Claws 3.7.8 e-mail vlient;
· Dropbox 1.2.52 client;
· Transmission 2.13 BitTorrent client;
· Gwibber 22.214.171.124 social networks client;
· LibreOffice 3.3.4 office suite (Writer, Calc, Impress, Base, Math);
· Guake! 0.4.2 FPS games-like terminal tool;
· Synaptic 0.70 package manager;
· Ubuntu One client;
· Docky 2.1.2 dock-like app;
· Exaile 0.3.2.1 music player;
· PiTiVi 0.13.5 video editor;
· VLC 1.1.9 media player;
· The GIMP 2.6.11 image editor;
· Shotwell 0.9.3 photo manager.
At the moment, Brian Manderville, the developer of Descent|OS is working very hard on the next major release of the distribution, Descent|OS 3.0, which will be based off of the upcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system.
Descent|OS 3.0 will be distributed as Xfce and MATE spins, alongside the existing GNOME version. Mozilla Firefox and a 64-bit edition will also be present.
We will keep you up-to-date with the development of Descent|OS in the near future. Until then, please take a look at our Descent|OS screenshot tour.
Download Descent|OS 2.1 right now from Softpedia. It is distributed only as a 32-bit ISO image!