Haiku R1 Alpha 4 Released, Fixes over 1,000 Bugs
A true BeOS open source operating system for personal use
Alexander von Gluck IV has announced yesterday, November 12, the immediate availability for download and testing of the fourth Alpha release of Haiku Release 1.The Haiku R1 Alpha 4 release squashes over 1,000 bugs over the previous Alpha 3 release, which was announced back in 2011.
"The Haiku Project is excited to announce the availability of our fourth official alpha release. A year and four months have passed since the Alpha 3 and the Haiku Project has been busy."
"The main purpose of this release is to provide interested third party developers with a stable version for testing and development. To aid with that, Haiku includes a rich set of development tools," Alexander von Gluck IV said in the official release announcement.
Highlights of Haiku Release 1 Alpha 4:
• A more robust BFS filesystem;
• Better support for Microsoft's NTFS filesystem;
• Improved support for Blu-Ray media;
• Better USB OHCI drivers;
• Better CPU identification;
• Added a 10-band audio equalizer;
• Added keymap switcher app;
• Added a native debugger app;
• Better drivers for network cards;
• Better drivers for wireless cards;
• Added a new pcnet driver;
• Initial support for IPv6;
• Mesa 7.8.2 for GCC 2.x;
• Mesa 8.1.0 for GCC 4.x;
• Support for WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption;
• Support for many Radeon HD chips;
• Support for many Intel Extreme chips;
• Virtual memory settings was improved;
• SWAP file creation logic was improved;
• Fixed over 1000 bugs;
• Lots of updated translations.
The Haiku R1 Alpha 4 operating system is distributed as Anyboot ISO images, recommended for those of you who want to install it via a USB flash drive or CD/DVD media, a normal ISO image that can only be written to an empty or rewritable CD, and a VM image, which can only be used on virtualization products, such as VirtualBox or VMware.
Haiku OS - Image courtesy of DistroWatch
Download Haiku Release 1 Alpha 4 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is an alpha release and it is intended for testing purposes only.
HOT RIGHT NOW