Here's a guide that will help you through the steps of using the Xbox 360
's Video Communication features over Xbox LIVE. Remember that Video Chat requires both the Xbox Live Vision camera and the Xbox 360 Headset
Video chat on Xbox 360 is a one-on-one video chat between you and someone on another Xbox 360 console.
Use the Private Chat screen to switch between video chat and private chat. You can conduct up to four separate but simultaneous private chats but only one video chat at a
time.To start a video chat from your Xbox 360 console:
1 - Make sure communication is allowed in:
- Privacy Settings, under your gamer profile (Edit Gamer Profile, Privacy Settings, Video).
- Family Settings (applicable only if there is a child profile on your console), under Xbox Live Controls, Privacy and Friends, Video.
2 - Plug in your Xbox Live Vision camera and Xbox 360 Headset.
3 - Press the Xbox Guide button and select Chat and IM.
4 - On the Private Chat tab, select Video Chat.
5 - Select Invite friend and select the gamertag of the person you'd like to chat with.Note
: You can only invite people on your friends list to video chat.
6 - Select Send Invite. You'll return to the video chat screen to await your friend's arrival.Note
: Your friend does not have to have an Xbox Live Vision camera to participate in video chat with you. If they do not have a camera, they will see video of you, but will themselves participate with voice only.
If you or another recipient declines a chat invitation, the cancellation is invisible to the sender. That is, the sender isn't told whether the invitation was declined or expired. A chat invite expires after five minutes.Video Chat Options
After you've established a video chat session, you can control it in several ways.
- Zoom in: To crop the video area, select Zoom in, then move the bounding box where you want it, and press A.
- Pause chat: Temporarily suspend your video stream by selecting Pause video chat or by pressing Y.
- Sound options: To adjust volume, microphone, and voice output options, select Sound options.
- Camera options: Select Options (X) to adjust lighting and room background settings.
- Special effects: Try the right and left bumpers for some extra fun.
for a lengthier list if guides to help you hook up your 360 and use it by the book. After all, who wants fuss with a system purchased for having fun?