Git, a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency, is now at version 1.8.2 RC0.
According to the developer, Git is easy to learn and has a tiny footprint with lightning-fast performance. It's considered similar to the SCM tools like Subversion, CVS, Perforce, and ClearCase with features like cheap local branching, convenient staging areas, and multiple workflows.
Highlights of Git 1.8.2 RC0:
• Initial ports to QNX and z/OS UNIX System Services have started;
• Output from the tests is colored using "green is okay, yellow is questionable, red is bad and blue is informative" scheme;
• Mention of "GIT/Git/git" in the documentation have been updated to be more uniform and consistent;
• The completion script (in contrib/completion) used to let the default completer to suggest pathnames, which gave too many irrelevant choices;
• In bare repositories, "git shortlog" and other commands now read mailmap files from the tip of the history;
• Scripts can ask Git that wildcard patterns in pathspecs they give do not have any significance;
• When giving arguments without "--" disambiguation, object names that come earlier on the command line must not be interpretable as pathspecs and pathspecs that come later on the command line must not be interpretable as object names;
• Various "hint" lines Git gives when it asks the user to edit messages in the editor are commented out with '#' by default;
• "git blame" (and "git diff") learned the "--no-follow" option;
The following public repositories all have a copy of the v1.8.3 tag and the main branch that the tag points at:
url = git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git
url = git://git.sourceforge.jp/gitroot/git-core/git.git
url = git://git-core.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/git-core/git-core
url = https://github.com/gitster/git
For a complete list of changes, check the official changelog.
Download Git 1.8.2 RC0 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.