Git, a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency, is now at version 1.8.2.
According to the developer, Git is easy to learn and has a tiny footprint with lightning-fast performance. It's considered similar to the SCM tools like Subversion, CVS, Perforce, and ClearCase with features like cheap local branching, convenient staging areas, and multiple workflows.
As far as releases go, Git 1.8.2 is a pretty big release and adds a huge number of changes, fixes, and new features.
Highlights of Git 1.8.2:
• QNX and z/OS UNIX System Services ports have been initialized;
• The output from the tests is now shown with the help of a color system, green is okay, yellow is questionable, red is bad and blue is informative;
• "GIT/Git/git" notions have been updated in the documentation;
• The completion script no longer allows the default completer to suggest pathnames;
• "git shortlog" and other commands now read mailmap files from the tip of the history;
• Scripts are now able to query Git to take them as literal strings;
• The patterns in .gitignore and .gitattributes files can have **/, as a pattern that matches 0 or more levels of subdirectory;
• The hint lines provided by Git are now opted out with '#' by default;
• "git add -u" and "git add -A", without pathspec, are now issuing a warning;
• "git blame" and "git diff" now have the "--no-follow" option;
• "git push" now requires "-f" to update a tag;
• "git status" says what branch is being bisected or rebased when able;
• The "git fast-export" option has been updated.
url = git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git
url = https://code.google.com/p/git-core/
url = git://git.sourceforge.jp/gitroot/git-core/git.git
url = git://git-core.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/git-core/git-core
url = https://github.com/gitster/git
For a complete list of changes, check the official changelog.
Download Git 1.8.2 right now from Softpedia.