In the end, it appears that Galaxy S III does not have a heating issue, as we were led to believe a few weeks ago when a user reported that his unit had exploded.
The South Korean mobile phone maker has issued an official statement today to confirm that an external source was the actual cause of the explosion.
“An external energy source was the cause for the GALAXY SIII that appeared to have heat-related damage,” the company said
The determination comes from the Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), and not from Samsung itself, and is supposed to eliminate any doubts that the flagship device might be flawed.
“Samsung contracted Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), an independent third-party organization, to determine the exact cause of the damage inflicted on a GALAXY SIII unit, which had allegedly been affected by heat,” the handset vendor announced.
“The damaged device
and additionally provided devices were examined and exposed to a series to tests.”
According to the investigation summary, “the energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device.” It also unveiled that the smartphone itself “was not responsible for the cause of the fire.”
The investigation also determined that the only way in which damages similar to those reported by the user could have been produced was to place the smartphone or components of it within a domestic microwave.
Apparently, the user also admitted that he was the one responsible for damaging the Galaxy S III unit, and that the device had nothing to do with that.
All those people out there who were considering the purchase of the new flagship phone
from Samsung but were afraid they might get into similar heating issues with their units can now rest assured. The phone might be hot, but it won’t melt in your pocket.