Version 3.7.4 of GNOME Boxes, a sophisticated application to easily and quickly access remote or virtual systems on the controversial and popular GNOME 3 desktop environment, has been announced last evening, January 14.First of all, we remind everyone that GNOME Boxes 3.7.4 is a development version. It is part of the upcoming GNOME 3.7.4 desktop environment, which should be released tomorrow, January 16, 2013.
Second of all, if you intend to test this development release of GNOME Boxes, keep in mind that it now requires the following packages: libosinfo >= 0.2.3, libvirt-gobject >= 0.1.5 and libvirt-gconfig >= 0.1.5.
Highlights of GNOME Boxes 3.7.4:
• The new libosinfo API is now used in order to avoid installations in unsupported languages;
• Added support for smartcards on both old and newly created Virtual Machines;
• Added a checking system for the driver files cache, which should always be up-to-date and unique;
• The CDROM is now automatically ejected and the installer files are deleted when the installation is complete;
• The progress bar of the wizard’s preparation page now displays progress of media detection and downloaded drivers – it keeps users informed about the current activity;
• Support for GTK+ 3.2 and Clutter 1.12;
• The obsolete Vala API files have been removed;
• Various other small improvements (functional and non-functional) and numerous bug fixes.
The following translations have been updated/fixed/added in this development release of the GNOME Boxes application: Assamese, Bulgarian, Belarusian, Estonian, Hebrew, Galician, Hungarian, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Polish, Spanish and Slovenian.
For more details about the GNOME Boxes 3.7.4 development release, you can find a complete list of changes in the raw changelog.
Download GNOME Boxes 3.7.4 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.