First Windows 8.1 Preview Updates Released – What’s New
Microsoft has just released the first batch of updates for Windows 8.1 Preview
As we’ve told you not a long time ago, Microsoft rolled out the first batch of updates for Windows 8.1 Preview, trying to fix some of the issues reported by users in the existing version of the OS.The release comprises five different patches, as it follows:
• Update for Windows RT 8.1 Preview (KB2864247) which is specifically supposed to fix a bug causing Metro apps to crash on Windows 8.1 Preview just after launch.
• Update for Windows RT 8.1 Preview (KB2864806) that makes it possible to sing you Google account through Picasa or other applications that rely on Google services. According to Microsoft, this issues occurs because “the application cannot retrieve certain cookies located on the computer.”
• Update for Windows RT 8.1 Preview (KB2864808) addressing a bug in Internet Explorer 11. “When you start and then pause a download in Internet Explorer 11 Preview on a Windows 8.1 Preview-based computer, the download cannot be resumed,” the company explains.
• Update for Windows RT 8.1 Preview (KB2863312) developed to improve compatibility of software and hardware with the new OS release. “This compatibility update improves the compatibility experience in Windows RT 8.1 Preview and in Windows 8.1 Preview. Microsoft regularly releases Windows compatibility updates to improve the overall user experience,” Microsoft explains.
• Update for Windows RT 8.1 Preview (KB2864713) that improves “the robustness of data files,” as Microsoft wrote in the advisory.
All patches are being delivered through the integrated Windows Update, so you can easily download and install the fixes on your computer.
In addition to the desktop version of the operating system, the updates are also compatible with Windows RT, so make sure you deploy them on your tablet too.
Microsoft is expected to release some new patches in the coming weeks, as users keep finding and reporting bugs in Windows 8.1 Preview, so the company needs to fix them all just in time for the release of the RTM version.