Fedora 18 Spherical Cow Final Released, Features Cinnamon and MATE
The developers have implemented two new desktop environments
The Fedora Project team has just announced the final release of its Linux operating system, Fedora 18, code-named Spherical Cow.After numerous delays and an immeasurable quantity of caffeine products, the final version of the Spherical Cow operating system has eventually made an appearance.
“Fedora is a leading-edge, free and open source operating system that continues to deliver innovative features to many users, with a new release about every six months...or so. :-D But no bull: Spherical Cow, is of course, Fedora's best release yet. You'll go through the hoof when you hear about the Grade A Prime F18 features. You can always cownt on us to bring you the best features first,”
Highlights of Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow):
• The user interface for Fedora's installation software, Anaconda, has been completely re-written from the ground up;
• The upgrade process for Fedora now uses a new tool called FedUp (Fedora Upgrader);
• The newest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.6, provides an enhanced Messaging Tray, support for Microsoft Exchange and Skydrive;
• Fedora users now have the option of using Cinnamon, an advanced desktop environment based on GNOME 3;
• The MATE desktop provides users with a classic GNOME 2.x style user interface;
• KDE Plasma Workspaces has been updated with many new features and improved stability and performance;
• The lightweight and easy-to-use Xfce desktop has been updated to the 4.10 version with many bug fixes and enhancements;
• The storage management SSM (System Storage Manager) has been improved;
• Perl, Rails, or Python languages are updated;
• Systems can now be updated offline, allowing for a more stable update of critical system components;
• Samba 4 introduces the first free and open source implementation of Active Directory protocols and includes a new scripting interface.
A complete list of changes and improvements can be found in the official announcement.
Download Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow) right now from Softpedia.
HOT RIGHT NOW