Fedora 15 Beta Has GNOME 3
The Fedora Project, through Dennis Gilmore, proudly announced yesterday (April 19th) the immediate availability for testing of the Beta version of the upcoming Fedora 15 operating system, due for release at the end of May 2011.Fedora 15 Beta is dubbed Lovelock and it is powered by the newly released GNOME 3 desktop environment and Linux kernel 2.6.38. It also includes the powerful LibreOffice 3 office suite and KDE SC 4.6.2.
"These features have provided improvements in networking, software management, hardware support, and other functionality. Over the past cycle, work on these features has mostly been to provide bug fixes and additional stability." - was stated in the release notes.
Highlights of Fedora 15 Beta:
· Linux kernel 188.8.131.52;
· The GNOME 3 desktop environment;
· Gnome Shell user interface;
· LibreOffice 3.3 open source office suite;
· Mozilla Firefox 4.0 web browser;
· BoxGrinder appliance (virtual machines) builder;
· KDE Software Compilation 4.6.2;
· Dynamic firewall;
· RPM 4.9;
· Python 3.2;
· Rails 3.0.3;
· OCaml 3.12;
· Maven 3;
· GNU Debugger (GDB) 7.3;
· GCC 4.6;
· Updates to the LXDE and XFCE 4.8 desktops;
· Sugar .92 environment;
· eCryptfs support in authconfig;
· LZMA comperssion for Live images;
· Power Management improvements;
· Retrace server;
· Robotics suite.
"This make Fedora 15 an ideal computing platform for anyone who wants to use their computer productively. Whether you're a student, a parent, an office worker, a programmer, an artist, an engineer, a writer -- Fedora has what you need to do the things you care about!"
Fedora 15 release schedule:
· May 17th, 2011 - Fedora 15 Final release.
Download Fedora 15 Beta right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a beta release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only. If you encounter bugs please report them to the Red Hat Bugzilla.
HOT RIGHT NOW