The distribution also features some improvements for the E17 desktop environment
Elive, a complete operating system for your computer that is built on top of Debian GNU/Linux and customized to meet the needs of any user while still offering the eye-candy, with minimal hardware requirements, is now at version 2.1.27 Alpha.The previous version, 2.1.23, was launched just a few days ago after more than three years of development and included Linux kernel 3.2.0 and the Enlightenment E17 window manager.
While not too many thing have changed in such a short amount of time, it seems that they will not need another three years to bring further improvements to the operating system.
Highlights of Elive 2.1.27 Alpha:
• Multiple improvements in E17 and startup configurations have been implemented;
• A persistence feature where you can save your data in live mode has been implemented into the LiveCD;
• A better list of languages supported is now available, along with their required fonts;
• Elive now supports more languages than before;
• Support for audio cards features including better recognition, improved volumes, mic working by default for applications like skype, has been implemented;
• syslinux is now used to boot the ISO's, which greatly increases the number of computers Elive can boot on;
• The new Wine version 1.5.22 has been added in order to increase support for a wider range of Windows applications.
The developers of Elive also asked for the community's help in testing the operating system and in providing feedback based on their experience.
“We appreciate your feedbacks about the overall speed/lightness of the system compared to last stable version of Elive. You can say something in our chat channel directly from the running system. If you detect any lagging in the system please consider different setups like disabling composite (which you can select on the startup of the graphical system) in order to report improvements,” stated the official announcement.
Download Elive 2.1.27 Alpha right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.