The Dreamlinux developers proudly announced yesterday, January 1st, the immediate availability for download of the Dreamlinux 5.0 operating system.
With a Mac OS X-like user interface, the Debian Wheezy powered distro features Linux kernel 3.1, Xfce 4.8, updated installed, safe software updates through dist-upgrade, an exclusive boot system for faster startups, and 100% Debian Testing compatibility.
"Embedding Dreamlinux 5 to a flash memory device can be made in three ways: as a read-only image, just like the DVD one, making it ideal for simply boot and install Dreamlinux on internal or external hard disks; as a semi-persistent image, being added to any regular vfat formatted flash memory device, without interfering with the existing files and data; or as the more exciting full-persistent-storage mode!
"And we mean it! You can use Dreamlinux this way without ever installing it on hard disks. It will preserve everything you do in your live session, like installing new programs, configuring Dreamlinux to your liking, and so on.
" - was stated on the project's homepage
Highlights of Dreamlinux 5.0:
· Based on Debian 7 Wheezy (testing);
· Linux Kernel 3.1;
· XFCE 4.8 desktop environment;
· Softmaker office suite (includes Planmaker, Presentations and Textmaker and MS Office documents compatiblity);
· Chromium web browser;
· SMPlayer media player (including all the necessary multimedia codecs);
· Inkscape SVG graphics editor;
· The GIMP image editor;
· Imagination DVD Slideshow Maker;
· Shotwell Photo Manager;
· Ristretto image visualizer;
· FoxitReader PDF viewer;
· In-house, easy-to-use, simple, really fast, two-steps graphic installer;
· MKDistro, in-house CLI distro builder software to build Dreamlinux or Debian derivatives;
· Music Player Daemon music server;
· MiniDLNA media server;
· Apache 2;
· PHP 5;
· Bluetooth support;
· Avahi-Daemon (Bonjour);
· Ruby Lua;
|Dreamlinux 5.0 - Image courtesy of the Dreamlinux Project|
Installable in only 5 minutes, the Dreamlinux 5.0 operating system will require a minimum i686 32-bits CPU with 512 MB of system RAM, 8 GB free hard drive space, a DVD drive or an USB flash drive.
Take a look at Softpedia's screenshout tour for Dreamlinux 5.0
Dreamlinux is a Brazilian Linux distribution, based on Debian, that can boot directly into XFCE or GNOME, depending on the user's preferences.
It employs a totally independent architecture called Flexiboost, based on overlaid modules.
It allows the co-existence of two or more different window managers, sharing the same customized appearance. The environments can share all the available applications.
Download Dreamlinux 5.0
right now from Softpedia.