Greg Kroah-Hartman announced yesterday, November 26, the immediate availability for download of the eighth maintenance release for the stable Linux 3.6 kernel series.Linux kernel 3.6.8 introduces a lot of various fixes, as well as driver improvements, file system fixes, and improved Arch support.
Highlights of Linux kernel 3.6.8:
• NULL ptr dereference in ata_acpi_dev_handle has been fixed;
• A logic error in atombios_encoders.c has been repaired;
• A coefficient index for beep configuration has been repaired;
• Novatel E362 and Dell Wireless 5800 USB IDs drivers have been added;
• Alcatel X220/X500D USB IDs drivers have been added;
• A potential buffer overrun in cifs.idmap handling code has been repaired;
• Softirqs has been disabled in cryptd_queue_worker to prevent data corruption;
• A new codec for ALC668 and ALC900 (default name ALC1150) has been added;
• Crypto peripherals IRQ issue due to sparse IRQ support has been fixed;
• Hashed negative dentry in cifs_atomic_open is no longer accessed;
• set current->reclaim_state to NULL while returning from kswapd();
• Invalid secondary exec controls in vmx_cpuid_update() have been fixed;
• A crash that occurred at re-preparing the PCM stream has been repaired;
• Metadata checksum calculation for the superblock in EXT4 file systems has been fixed;
• The ttm page allocated from high memory zone correctly has been cleared;
• The length of pad control and mux registers for Tegra devices has been fixed;
A complete list of changes and fixes can be found in the official mailing list.
“I'm announcing the release of the 3.6.8 kernel. All users of the 3.6 kernel series must upgrade.”
“The updated 3.6.y git tree can be found at: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git linux-3.6.y and can be browsed at the normal kernel.org git web browser: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=summary,” said Greg KH in the email announcement.
Users of the Linux kernel 3.6.x branch are urged to update as soon as possible to the new version.
Download Linux kernel 3.6.8 right now from Softpedia.