LimeWire X is a free, peer-to-peer (P2P), file-sharing client for Mac OS X. It uses the Java platform to locate files, as well as share files, and it is one of the few P2P, file-sharing solutions of its kind for the Mac. LimeWire is compatible with all major platforms and running over the Gnutella Network
The release notes for LimeWire 5.3.2 reveal that the piece of software now uses a different 'Upgrade to Pro' notification box. Changes from its previous version are included with this release as well. Those include:
- Added prioritize files ability within a torrent. You can set the priority of which files to download first and can set which files not to download at all.
- Added Friend notification when using the Facebook service with Friends.
- Updated to the file information dialog box.
- Fixed the Media Player.
- Fixed a bug when the splash screen would cause an exception on system startup.
- Fixed a bug when restoring LimeWire from the Mac tray with the splash screen visible.
LimeWire X is touted as being the fastest, easiest, most advanced file-sharing program of its kind. The piece of software boasts iTunes integration on both Mac and Windows, as well as a browse-host feature, which works even through firewalls. LimeWire connects to the network using GWebCache, a distributed connection system.
LimeWire's open source code was developed (in part) by a devoted programmer community. The code is freely available to the public. LimeWire is available in multiple languages, in both free and paid versions. The Basic version is free, while LimeWire Pro can be acquired for $21.95. Personalized technical support and more stuff typical to an enhanced version are to be had with the latter.
System requirements include an Intel-based Mac, OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or later, 256 MB of RAM, a live connection to the Internet, and Java 1.5 or later. To download LimeWire for free, or to grab the Pro version, use the link below. Download LimeWire X (Free)