Microsoft has made available an extension for the Word component of the latest iteration of Office, designed to expand the product’s mathematics capabilities.
The Microsoft Mathematics Add-In released for Office 2010 users is not limited to Word, as it is also designed to extend OneNote, according to the Redmond company.
Customers running Office 2010 will be able to download the Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote free of charge via the Download Center.
Microsoft informed that the extension also works with Office Word 2007, in addition to Word 2010 and OneNote 2010.
“Microsoft Mathematics Add-in for Word and OneNote makes it easy to plot graphs in 2D and 3D, calculate numerical results, solve equations or inequalities, and simplify algebraic expressions in your Word documents and OneNote notebooks,” the company stated.
At the bottom of this article users will be able to find a full list with the capabilities that the mathematics add-in adds to Word and OneNote.
Of course, at the core of the extension are mathematical calculations and graphs capabilities that become available to users right in their Word documents and OneNote notebooks.
“The add-in also provides an extensive collection of mathematical symbols and structures to display clearly formatted mathematical expressions. You can also quickly insert commonly used expressions and math structures by using the Equation gallery,” Microsoft added.
According to the software giant, the “Microsoft Mathematics Add-in can help you with the following tasks:
• Compute standard mathematical functions, such as roots and logarithms
• Compute trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine
• Find derivatives and integrals, limits, and sums and products of series
• Perform matrix operations, such as inverses, addition, and multiplication
• Perform operations on complex numbers
• Plot 2-D graphs in Cartesian and polar coordinates
• Plot 3-D graphs in Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates
• Solve equations and inequalities
• Calculate statistical functions, such as mode and variance, on lists of numbers
• Factor polynomials or integers
• Simplify or expand algebraic expressions.”
The Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote is available for download here.
Office Home and Business 2010 RTM Build 14.0.4760.1000 is available for download here.
Office Home and Student 2010 RTM Build 14.0.4760.1000 is available for download here.
Office Professional 2010 RTM Build 14.0.4760.1000 is available for download here.