Brian Manderville proudly announced on August 29th the immediate availability for download of the Descent|OS 3 Linux operating system.
As we've mentioned in our introductory article at the beginning of the year, Descent|OS 3 is now based on the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangoling) operating system.
Unfortunately, 64-bit fans of Descent|OS will be disappointed to know that this release is still supported for 32-bit architectures only, but this time with a PAE kernel.
"I am pleased to announce that Descent|OS 3 is officially available for download. It is 32-bit only for now, but the PAE kernel is supported after install. In terms of cosmetics, QT now looks right, and all the packages have been updated. MATE desktop has been great to work with, and it is stable."
"It uses the 3.2 series kernel, and is based off of Ubuntu 12.04. All the packages have been updated since the release candidate, and it behaves just the way I want it to. I have included a Beginner’s Guide for new people to learn how to use Synaptic and the custom keyboard shortcuts." said Brian Manderville in the official announcement.
Highlights of Descent|OS 3:
· Based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin);
· Linux kernel 3.2;
· MATE 1.2.0 desktop environment;
· GIMP 2.8 image editor;
· Synaptic Package Manager 0.75.9;
· Docky 2.1.4 dock;
· BleachBit 0.9.1 system cleaner;
· Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1 web browser;
· Claws Mail 3.8.0 email client;
· Pidgin 2.10.3 IM client;
· Transmission 2.51 torrent downloader;
· Guayadeque 0.3.5 music player;
· OpenShot 1.4.0 video editor;
· VLC Media Player 2.0.3;
· LibreOffice 3.5.4;
· XChat 2.8.8 IRC client;
· Gwibber 3.4.2 social networking client;
· Shotwell 0.12.3 image organizer;
· Eye of MATE 1.2.0 image viewer;
· Guake! Terminal 0.4.2.
Download Descent|OS 3 right now from Softpedia.