Debian-Based Semplice Linux 3.0 RC Is Available for Testing
This will not be considered stable even when it exits the development phase
Semplice Linux, a GNU/Linux distribution based on Debian's Sid unstable branch with the goal to provide a simple, lightweight, fast and cool environment, is now at version 3.0 RC.The current release of Semplice, 3.0 RC, is based on Linux kernel 3.2.16 and is pretty stable as a Live CD. Keep in mind though that it's based on the unstable branch of Debian and it probably it will never be considered truly stable.
There are some small issues underlined by the developer. If people are using nonfree=false boot parameter (which only works in Live), the non-free removal script will display its output during the boot phase.
Also, the persistent option has been disabled. As it stands right now, it's not possible to create persistent USB keys. The installer module which handles the persistent USB key creation, echo, can still be found in the live distribution.
Highlights of Semplice Linux 3.0 RC:
• Openbox is the default Window Manager used in Semplice. This package, along with other applications, make the default desktop of Semplice Linux;
• Linux kernel has been updated to version 3.2.16. It's not the most current one, but at least it's in the 3.x branch;
• Chromium has been integrated as the default Internet browser for this distribution;
• Exaile 3.3.1, a music manager and player for GTK+ written in Python that features a lot of useful features, has been integrated;
• GNOME MPlayer 1.0.6, a complete multimedia solution which can play audio, video, CDs, DVDs, and VCDs, streams, and much more, has been added;
• Abiword 2.9.2 and Gnumeric 1.10.17 have been implemented;
• Pidgin, a versatile messaging client which supports a large number of protocols, has been updated to version 2.10.6;
• Guake Terminal has been updated to version 0.4.3.
A complete list of changes can be found in the official announcement.
Download Semplice Linux 3.0 RC right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a beta release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.