Bethesda has surprised owners of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on the PC platform by stealthily releasing the Dawnguard expansion for the game onto the Steam service without any prior announcement. The studio has also clarified the state of the DLC for Skyrim’s PS3 version, saying that it’s still encountering technical issues, so it’s going to be a while before the add-on reaches the Sony home console.
Dawnguard is the first big expansion for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, bringing a pretty lengthy series of quests to the already massive role-playing game.
The DLC was first launched onto the Xbox 360 platform
, thanks to a timed exclusivity deal with Microsoft, and has just been released onto the PC platform by developer Bethesda.
The add-on can be downloaded via the Steam digital distribution service, in exchange for $19.99/€19.99.
PlayStation 3 owners are going to have to wait a bit more before getting to experience Dawnguard for their own version of Skyrim, however, as Bethesda posted a statement on its blog
, saying that certain technical issues have forced it to delay the expansion until everything’s fixed.
“We are not satisfied yet with Dawnguard’s performance on the PS3. We would like for everyone to have a chance to play Dawnguard, but we aren’t going to release it for PS3 knowing that some people’s experience in Skyrim will be worse. We do everything we can to have our content available to all; from our free updates, to user mods, to paid DLC. We’re as disappointed as our fans when that isn’t the case, but we’ll continue to push for that reality.”
In case you forgot, here are some of the things included in the Dawnguard expansion for Skyrim:
- New Weapons, Armor, Spells and Shouts. Join the Dawnguard and wield all new crossbows and craft your own arrows, bolts, and Dragonbone weapons. Use new weapons, armor, spells and shouts, including the Soul Tear shout – that rips the souls from your enemies and turns them into your minions.
- Become a Vampire Lord. Side with the vampires and become a Vampire Lord yourself. Hover across the ground, turn yourself into bats, levitate your enemies as you drain their life, and more. The Vampire Lord features its own upgradable perk system.
- Werewolf Perks added. Playing as a werewolf now has its own upgradable perk system including Bestial Strength, Animal Vigor, and Savage Feeding.
- New Locations and Creatures. Choose from two new fortresses to upgrade and call home, Castle Volkihar or Fort Dawnguard. Discover lost valleys and travel to a new realm of Oblivion, the Soul Cairn. Battle new creatures including Death Hounds, Gargoyles, Armored Trolls, and all new vampires and dragons.
- Change Your Appearance. Visit Riften’s Ratway and find the woman who can change your appearance, altering your face or hair.
Expect to hear about Dawnguard’s arrival onto the PS3 platform soon enough.