Cube 2: Sauerbraten, a free singleplayer and multiplayer first-person shooter, the successor of the Cube FPS, has been launched, along with the engine which powers it.Cube 2 tries to keep the same atmosphere as the original Cube and aims to be a fun, old school multiplayer shooter that appeals to broader audience.
The engine used in this game is entirely original in code and design, and its code is Open Source.
This latest edition of Cube 2: Sauerbraten has been dubbed “Collect Edition” and it's probably one of the largest updates ever done.
Highlights of Cube 2: Sauerbraten:
• Ogro has been reanimated with skeletal animation and it supports vweps and ragdolls;
• New maps have been added for the multiplayer;
• "collect," "insta collect," and "efficiency collect" game modes have been added;
• New weapon sounds by Slawomir 'Q009' Blauciak have been implemented;
• Support for directional sunlight has been added for lightmaps (controlled via "sunlight," "sunlightyaw," "sunlightpitch," and "sunlightscale" vars);
• "savebrush" and "pastebrush" commands have been added for saving and pasting selected geometry;
• Support for up to 4 types of water, lava, and glass materials has been added (using "water2," "lava3," etc. materials);
• The game now uses GLSL as the default rendering path when available (use "forceglsl 0" to get the old assembly shader path if necessary);
• Support for international character sets has been added;
• Auto-update and auto-sort options have been added to the server browser;
• Made server browser stay open on connect failure;
• Server now loads entities directly from maps if available;
• In CTF maps, the same player that dropped a flag may now pick it back up one time, but not twice in a row without a teammate picking it up in between.
A complete list of changes can be found in the official announcement.
Download Cube 2: Sauerbraten right now from Softpedia.