The Chrome OS developers announced today, July 27th, the immediate availability for download of the Chrome OS 2.1.1145 Live CD Linux operating system, which brings a lot of fresh software.
Chrome OS 2.1.1145 is now powered by Linux kernel 3.4.2, and features the new Cinnamon desktop environment, a fork of GNOME 3.
"There is a brand new version of Chrome OS Linux based on Cinnamon desktop (fork of GNOME 3) and with a lot of fresh software." - said The Chrome OS developers in the email announcement received by Softpedia.
Highlights of Chrome OS 2.1.1145:
· Linux kernel 3.4.2;
· Cinnamon 1.4 desktop environment;
· Chromium 21.0.1145 web browser;
· Banshee 2.2 media player;
· Shotwell 0.11 photo manager;
· GIMP 2.6 image editor;
· LibreOffice 3.5 office suite;
· Wine 1.4 Windows emulator;
· Cheese 3.2 webcam application;
· Pidgin 2.10 multi-protocol instant messenger;
· Dashboard with the social toolbar;
· Control Center;
· and much more!
As you can see this latest update, Chrome OS Linux 2.1.1145, is built around the latest Beta channel Chromium 21.0.1145, which brings various improvements and features.
The following system requirements are recommended by the Chrome OS developers for new Chrome OS Linux installations:
· CPU: Intel Pentium, Atom, Xeon or newer; AMD Duron, Athlon, Sempron, Opteron or newer;
· RAM: min. 512 MB;
· Hard disk: min. 1 GB;
· Graphics card: most of graphics cards with 3D hardware acceleration.
About Chrome OS
Chrome OS is a free Linux Live CD distribution built around the revolutionary Google Chrome web browser and based on the openSUSE operating system.
Chrome OS's aim is to provide a lightweight Linux operating system for the best web browsing experience on any Chromebook, x86 PC or notebook. Chrome OS is NOT related to Google and the Google Chrome OS.
Download Chrome OS 2.1.1145 Live CD right now from Softpedia.