The new version of the distribution also relies on Linux Kernel 3.7.6
Chakra Linux, a distribution specially built to take advantage of KDE Software Compilation and the Plasma desktop, is now at version 2013.02.Chakra Linux 2013.02, dubbed “Benz,” follows the development of the KDE SC 4.10 series and it follows a trend started by developers a while ago. They will be naming their releases after famous engineers.
The major features of this release is the switch to KDE 4.10, which means that all the new changes introduced in 4.10 will be available in Chakra Linux.
“The Chakra-Project team is fully aware a distribution is far more judged by what is not accomplished yet, than by what is. Though many of the things we set out to get done 3 years ago are implemented, there still are three major features missing,” stated the official announcement.
Highlights of Chakra Linux 2013.02:
• The live ISO has switched to using GFXboot, this will give many more options for language and keyboard settings;
• Tribe now has a dedicated keyboard page, this will avoid issues in setting the desired keyboard correctly;
• The Chakra artwork theme "Dharma" is fully updated, and integration is set for all parts of the live ISO, grub bootloader, KDM and the installed desktop;
• Linux kernel has been updated to version 3.7.6;
• Mariadb has replaced MySql;
• Gimp was updated to version 2.8.4;
• Mozilla Firefox has been updated to version 18.0.2.
Also, users can install a lot of additional applications from the repositories.
Moreover, a decision was made to no longer provide an i686 image. If you want to test the distribution, keep in mind that Chakra's ISO's do not support unetbootin, and CD/DVDs need a burn speed no higher than 4x.
A complete list of new features and updates can be found in the official announcement.
Download Chakra Linux 2013.02 right now from Softpedia.