If successful, Canonical would launch the most powerful mobile phone in the world
Canonical has announced a new crowdfunding initiative for Ubuntu Edge, a new top of the line phone that will supposedly drive the innovation in the mobile industry for years to come.Canonical's plan is to build a convergent superphone called Ubuntu Edge that will be able to run both as a mobile device and as a PC.
To make this plan happen, Canonical is trying to raise the necessary money from a crowdfunding campaign that is probably the biggest one attempted so far. The sum it is asking is 32 million dollars (yes, you're reading it right).
“Like Ubuntu itself, the creation of the Ubuntu Edge phone is a community endeavor, which is why we’re using an Indie GoGo campaign to raise the cost of building these devices. All of the money raised will go towards manufacturing and delivering the phone to the people who contribute.
‘That means you get the phone basically at the cost of manufacturing it (or less if you contribute $600 or €454 in the first 24 hours of the campaign,” reads the announcement posted on the Ubuntu website.
According to the announcement, the money raised through this activity will not go towards the funding of the usual Canonical activity.
Technical highlights of Ubuntu Edge:
• Dual-boot Ubuntu Edge into either Ubuntu or Android
• Becomes a fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
• Fast and powerful device with multi-core CPU and at least 4GB RAM
• 128GB of storage for photos, music, content
• 4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD display with pure sapphire crystal screen, the hardest natural substance after diamond
• Cameras made for low light, fast response and close-up pictures: 8mp rear camera, 2mp front
• Faster connection all over the world with dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
• Connect to HDMI TVs and monitors easily with MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
• GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
• Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
• Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
• 64 x 9 x 124mm.
If the campaign is successful, the product will arrive in May 2014.