Calibre 0.9.6 Has Experimental Support for Subsetting Fonts
The latest version of Calibre can be downloaded from Softpedia
Version 0.9.6 of the e-book reader and management software Calibre was announced on November 10, marking an important milestone for this amazing software.If you have an e-book reader, the Calibre software is a must have. It does so many things for the avid reader, that it would take a lot of time to just enumerate all the features.
As usual, Calibre comes with a lot of new changes, but also with experimental support for subsetting fonts.
Highlights of Calibre 0.9.6:
• Experimental support for subsetting fonts has been added. This means that users can reduce the font to contain only the glyphs for the text actually present in the book. Calibre can now do this for all embedded fonts during a conversion;
• A workaround for EPUBs that have missing or damaged ZIP central directories has been implemented. Calibre should now be able to read or convert such an EPUB file, provided it does not suffer from further corruption;
• Using identifiers in save-to-disk templates is now possible;
• An option to not notify the GUI has been implemented;
• A clear tags button has been added to the metadata catalog and now users can remove all tags with a single click;
• Search to the font family chooser dialog has been added to the interface;
• Amazon stores, Google Books store and libri.de store have been repaired;
• More fixes for device book matching, for the Kobo driver have been implemented, along with a few performance improvements;
• Duplicate id and name attributes have been removed from EPUB output in order to eliminate pointless noise from the various EPUB check utilities;
• A regression that broke the Template Editor has been repaired.
Keep in mind that the code for subsetting fonts is very new and likely has bugs. The conversion log will have info about the subsetting operations.
A complete changelog can be found in the official announcement. You can also check out our review of Calibre.
Download Calibre 0.9.6 right now from Softpedia.
HOT RIGHT NOW