CAINE (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment), a GNU/Linux live distribution created as a project of Digital Forensics is now at version 3.0.
CAINE 3.0 provides a complete forensic solution with the help of a friendly graphical interface. According to the developer, it offers an interoperable environment that supports the digital investigator during the four phases of the digital investigation and a semi-automated compilation of the final report.
The project is completely open source and anyone can take the responsibilities from a previous developer or project manager. Highlight of CAINE 3.0:
• Linux kernel was updated to version 3.2.0-31;
• MATE desktop environment was updated to version 1.4;
• LightDM was added;
• iPhone Backup Analyzer, a tool designed to allow the user to simply browse through the contents of the backup folder of an iPhone, was added;
• ExifTool, a command-line application for reading, writing and editing meta information, was added;
• TCP Flow Recorder, an application that captures data transmitted as part of TCP connections (flows), and stores the data in a way that is convenient for protocol analysis or debugging, was added;
• SQLite Browser, visual tool used to create, design and edit database files compatible with SQLite, was added;
• DocAnalyzer, a tool that provides document parsing and analysis, was added to the distro;
• PEFrame, a tool to perform static analysis on (portable executable) malware, was added;
• MDB Tools was added. It includes programs to export schema and data to other databases such as MySQL, Oracle, Sybase, PostgreSQL, and others.
• Wireshark was updated to version 1.6.7;
• Mozilla Firefox Browser was update to version 15.0.1;
• VLC media player was update to version 2.0.3;
• Forensic Registry Editor was updated to version 0.1.0 Beta 4.
A complete list of changes, updates, new features, and applications can be found in the official announcement
. Download CAINE 3.0
right now from Softpedia.