An Internet Explorer 9 super Beta can be built by combining IE9 Platform Preview 6 released today October 28, 2010 at PDC and the IE9 public Beta made available on September 15th at the Beauty of the Web launch event in San Francisco.
At PDC 2010, Microsoft launched a new platform preview of Internet Explorer 9, the sixth developer release from the company.
Early adopters already familiar with the IE9 Platform Preview releases will find that the latest Build is intended for the same audience as its predecessors.
While IE9 Beta is designed as a wide testing milestone for the public, PP6 is intended for developers to test drive the latest platform enhancements that are built into the next generation of IE, such as CSS3 2D transforms and semantic tags.
Still, there is a way for developers to enjoy both the platform capabilities of IE9 PP6 but also get the site-centric user experience of IE9 Beta.
Yes, the best of two worlds! All they need to do is follow the steps outlined below:
1. Make sure to install IE9 Beta. Of course, the Beta is still available for download from Microsoft (www.beautyoftheweb.com). It has been downloaded over 10 million times since September 15th.
2. Now also download and install Internet Explorer Platform Preview 6. The bits are up for grabs here: www.ietestdrive.com.
3. After IE9 Beta and IE9 PP6 have both been installed create a folder on your Desktop called IE9_PP6.
4. Locate the iexplore.exe file from the C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer directory (or C:/Program Files (x86)/Internet Explorer if you are on a 64 bit machine) and copy it to the IE9_PP6 folder you have just created.
5. Double click the IE9_PP6 folder and create a new folder inside. Name it iexplore.exe.local (It’s extremely important that you name folder iexplore.exe.local and nothing else)
6. For the next step make your way to Internet Explorer Platform Preview directory within Program files (commonly on 32 bit machines this will be at C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer Platform Preview and on 64 bit machines this will be at C:/Program Files (x86)/Internet Explorer Platform Preview)
7. Here you will find the iepreview.exe.local folder. Copy all the contents of the iepreview.exe.local folder from the Internet Explorer Platform Preview directory to the iexplore.exe.local folder which you created in IE9_PP6.
8. Make sure to close all instances of IE running on your computer. Now run iexplore.exe from IE9_PP6.
The IE9 process that you will launch in this manner will feature both the platform capabilities of IE9 PP6 and the IE9 Beta user experience.
It is imperative that you close all IE windows that might be running on your computer before launching the iexplore.exe from IE9_PP6.
This step ensures that the IE process that you run will have the new platform offered with IE9 PP6.
Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) Build 9.0.7930.16406 is available for download here.
Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) Platform Preview 6 (PP6) is available for download here.