Brussels Sprouts Overdose Puts Scottish Man in the Hospital

This was the first time the medical community was faced with such a case

By Laura Sinpetru on December 22nd, 2012 09:49 GMT

Green living is all about cutting down on meat consumption and focusing on fruits and vegetables instead. However, as a Scottish man found out (the hard way, some might add) that there is such a thing as living too healthily.

Thus, an Australian medical journal recently published a study into what is to be forever referred to as the first case of Brussels sprouts overdose.

The incident occurred in December 2011, when this man ate a tad too many such vegetables.

Apparently, Brussels sprouts contain significant amounts of vitamin K, which tends to make blood clot, sources explain.

As well as this, they toy with the efficiency of anticoagulants, which this man was taking as a result of his having a mechanical heart.

Physicians explain that those having a mechanical heart must eat as few leafy green vegetables as possible, precisely because of their being extremely rich in vitamin K.

Luckily for this man, the doctors were quick in realizing what was wrong with him, and his condition got stabilized in no time.

“Whilst we think this is possibly the first-ever festive admission to hospital caused by the consumption of Brussels sprouts, we were delighted that we were able to stabilize his levels,” said hospital Chief Executive Jill Young.
Scottish man ends up in the hospital because of a Brussels sprouts overdose
   Scottish man ends up in the hospital because of a Brussels sprouts overdose
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
LATEST NEWS
HOT RIGHT NOW

Comments