Brazilian Angler Chokes on Sole Fish, Dies

The fisherman couldn't stop the fish from blocking his windpipe

By on November 26th, 2012 13:30 GMT

A man in Icapui, the state of Ceara in Brasil, was angle fishing with a few friends when he lost his life. A fish killed him, but this wasn't a fishing accident.

According to the Telegraph, he took a small sole fish that he had just caught and bet his friends that he can hold it between his teeth, without swallowing it. The bet obligated him to keep the fish in his mouth for an entire minute; however, he wasn't even able to do so for a few seconds.

The fish was fresh out of the water, and extremely slippery. It wiggled from the Brazilian man's grasp. As soon as he let it go from his hand, it swam down his throat.

He started choking and suffocating, however was still able to drive to a nearby hospital. By the time he got to the hospital, which was two miles (3.2 km) away, it had lodged in his windpipe, preventing him from breathing.

Hospital staff tried to help on Sunday, November 25, at 11am, but he was too late getting to the hospital. He collapsed immediately after entering the hospital.

Doctors rushed to his rescue, eventually removing the fish, to no avail. The man suffocated and lost his life.

“It was a silly thing to do, but he didn't deserve to die because of it,” Icapui's police chief Carlos Alberto says.

His wife and friends, as well as police officers and medical staff were undoubtedly stunned by the bizarre incident. The angler's wife posted a message on a social networking site, expressing her sorrow and regret.

“Only one thing comforts my heart, that I was the best wife and friend that I could have been. The best woman that I could be, there, in every hour and in every moment,” she writes.

Comments