Mobile phone carrier Verizon Wireless is pushing out a new software update for users of a BlackBerry Tour 9630 on its airwaves. The new BlackBerry OS 188.8.131.521 is being delivered over-the-air to the wireless operator's customers and sports a nice range of new features and improvements, including that Push-To-Talk capability the company touted as becoming available for Tour owners.
According to Verizon, the new software solution (the 5.0.0 release 1002 - platform 184.108.40.2062/applications 220.127.116.111 – update) for Tour is set to enhance the user experience for all of its customers who own such a device. Among the improvements included in the update, we can count some regarding the camera on the phone, some for its calling and messaging features, as well as a series of enhancements for the handset's basic operations.
The release notes for the software update include:
- Improved operation during charging.
- Simplified key-lock functionality. A password is no longer needed unless a security timeout has occurred.
- Improved GPS connectivity when using third-party mapping applications.
- Push to Talk–capable.
- Better video streaming functionality.
- Enhanced display for MMS messages containing both video and text.
- Improved multitasking ability while streaming and downloading videos from www.youtube.com.
- Smoother operation in both camera and video applications.
Following the installation of BlackBerry OS 18.104.22.1681 on Tour, users should also benefit from smoother operation in both camera and video applications, Verizon notes, adding that the reading, sending, forwarding, and deleting SMS messages have been enhanced as well. Moreover, Bluetooth functionality for last number dialed has been improved, as well as the Voice Activated Dialing in both French and English features of the phone, along with Call Waiting caller ID and call timer.
Other improvements and new features are there too, and those interested in learning more on the matter will find the release notes available on Verizon's website here. The carrier provides detailed information on downloading and setting up Push to Talk on the device on that support page, and users will also find the latest software for BlackBerry Tour 9630 available for download there, along with instructions on how to perform the upgrade.