Earlier today, BlackBerry 10 users around the world started to see the BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 update emerging on their devices, and the full changelog for the release is now available.The Canadian mobile phone maker has confirmed the rollout, announcing that users will benefit from hundreds of enhancements as part of it, and that they will be able to do more after installing it, while also being more productive than before.
The company has also noted that the new platform release is available starting today in the US, Europe, Canada, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America.
The new operating system flavor is still subject to carrier approvals, but it should not be too long before all owners of BlackBerry 10 devices, including the Porsche Design P’9982, receive it.
The release notes for the new update include the option to customize Pinch Gesture to Filter BlackBerry Hub, a simplified Phone Experience, SMS and Email Groups, Actionable Lock Screen Notifications, and more.
Following the installation of OS 10.2.1, users will be able to filter the message list in the BlackBerry Hub. They can set it to show only Unread Messages, Flagged Messages, Draft Messages, Meeting Invites, Sent Messages, or Level 1 Alerts, BlackBerry announced.
Moreover, the OS brings along a new incoming call screen, which allows users to swipe to the left to answer, or to the right to ignore a call.
“New intuitive icons allow you to instantly silence the call, or send a Reply Now response through BBM, SMS or email that you can’t answer the phone right away. You can choose from a list of standard automated responses or respond with a personalized note,” BlackBerry announced.
For efficient communication, OS 10.2.1 will enable the creation of SMS and email groups, while also allowing users to tap to open a message that appears on the lockscreen. Faster unlocking is also possible through using a combination of a picture and a number (0-9).
At the same time, the Quick Settings Menu is customizable in the new OS version, so that owners of BB10 devices can set what appears on the Settings menu, with options such as quickly changing the Brightness, toggling various network connections, and more.
Other enhancements in BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 include:
- Offline Browser Reading Mode – You can now save the current web page you’re on for later viewing, even if you are offline or without an Internet connection.
- Preferred Contact Sync – You can now choose the sync source for your Contacts ensuring you always have the most up-to-date contact details. When adding a new contact you can designate which sources you want the contact info to sync with, such as the corporate address book, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.
- Device and Battery Monitor – A new and improved device monitor provides you with essential details on battery usage, the impact of installed apps on battery life and memory usage and storage, as well as CPU stats.
- FM Radio – If you have a BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Q10 or BlackBerry Q5 smartphone, the new software update unlocks the built-in FM radio in those handsets. You can listen to local FM stations, which does not require any network connection.
- Automatic Software Updates – OS updates can be set to happen automatically over a Wi-Fi connection to help ensure you’re always benefiting from the latest and best possible customer experience.
- Enterprise Features – When combined with BES10 version 10.2, enterprise customers will gain additional security features and IT policies for when more granular controls are required, such as for regulated industries and for organizations that work with sensitive data.
Additional info on the new update can be found on BlackBerry's website.