The distribution will benefit from five years of security updates
Bio-Linux, a fully featured, powerful, configurable and easy to maintain bioinformatics workstation build on the Ubuntu operating system, is now at version 7.0.3.Bio-Linux 7.0.3 is built on top of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) and offers a graphical menu for bioinformatics programs, as well as easy access to the Bio-Linux bioinformatics documentation system and sample data useful for testing programs.
The new Bio-Linux provides a large number of improvements over the previous versions, and now it even includes the Galaxy analysis environment, which is an open, web-based platform for data intensive biomedical research.
Highlights of Bio-Linux 7.0.3:
• Bio-Linux 7 is based upon Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, the latest long-term-stable release from Ubuntu, which is a completely free, feature-rich Linux distribution with excellent hardware support and a broad community of contributors, and not to mention five years of security updates;
• The PredictProtein software from the Rost Lab has been included;
• The latest versions of software for microbial community analysis – QIIME, Mothur, AmpliconNoise, RDP-classifier, ChimeraSlayer, and so on – have been included;
• Velvet and friends (Tophat, Cufflinks, Bowtie) have been added;
• The support for classic bioinformatics tools, including the latest EMBOSS, latest BLAST and BLAST+, Artemis, ARB, MrBAYES, has been maintained;
• More modular design makes it easier to add Bio-Linux components to Ubuntu, and to synchronize Bio-Linux and CloudBioLinux;
• If you are already running Bio-Linux 6, there is no need to reinstall, as you can upgrade in-place.
Users can install Bio-Linux on any computer, either as the only operating system, or as part of a dual-boot setup. This will allow people to use the current system and Bio-Linux on the same hardware.
Bio-Linux 7.0.3 also runs Live from the DVD or a USB stick. The operating system will function in the memory of the computer, without having to install anything.
Checkout the official announcement for a complete list of changes and updates.
Download Bio-Linux 7.0.3 right now from Softpedia.