The KDE community announced yesterday (November 5th, 2008), in a press release, the immediate availability of the third maintenance of the K Desktop Environment, one of the most popular desktop managers, also known as KDE. The new release, KDE 4.1.3 (dubbed Change), ships with numerous bugfixes, some translation updates and many performance improvements.
Here is a list with the most important changes brought by KDE 4.1.3:
· Two important bugs in Dolphin, the KDE 4 file manager, that could make the application hang and crash, were fixed;
· Numerous bugs were fixed in KHTML, the HTML rendering component of KDE 4, which powers the Konqueror web browser. Also, some optimizations were implemented;
· Kopete, the KDE 4 multi-protocol Instant Messenger, received some bugfixes and enhancements.
For a complete list with the things that changed since KDE 4.1.2, please visit the official changelog.
The KDE 4.1 desktop ships with many packages, including web development applications, educational tools, administrative programs and more, all of which are available in over 50 languages. Everyone currently using KDE 4.1.2 is advised to update to the most recent version. More, similar updates of the 4.1 generation will follow in the next months, culminating with a new feature release, KDE 4.2.0, expected in January 2009.
Are you a Kubuntu user? ...and don't know how to update your packages to KDE 4.1.3? Look no further, we have a quick tutorial for you:
The following instructions are for users of Kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) or Ubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4 (must have kubuntu-desktop package installed).
1. Open Adept (Kubuntu users), or the Software Sources tool (Ubuntu users), and enable the Recommended/Unsupported Updates (backports) in the "Updates" tab;
2. Add the following line in the "Third-Party Software" tab:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu intrepid main
3. Reload the software repository information and update your system!
4. That's it! Reboot and your KDE 4 environment will be updated to version 4.1.3!
If you want to compile KDE 4.1.3 from sources, download them right now from Softpedia.
Available Now: KDE 4.1.3
... so hot right now