Archos, the company which brought to the market a nice range of Android-based tablet PCs, announced recently the availability of the Android 2.2.1 Froyo software update for its slates.
Through the new software update, the tablet PCs receive a nice range of new features, including improved performance levels, support for more features, and more.
According to the company
, all of its Archos 28/32/43/70/101 Internet Tablets will receive the new firmware 2.0.54, which was released on November 30th with Android “Froyo” 2.2.1 packed inside.
Previously, these devices were powered by the Android “Eclair” 2.1 firmware, Archos
notes, adding that the new release should offer an increase of up to five times in application speeds via just in time compiler (JIT) technology.
The release notes for this update
includes:- Video: movie information and cover retrieval in video file info dialog
- Multiple selection mode is now always enabled in the file manager
- External bluetooth GPS receivers are now supported
- Better assistance is provided in the tethering wizard to pair with cell phone using bluetooth DUN profile (smart APN detection)
- OpenVPN is now supported
- Slideshow support for network shares has been added to Gallery and Photoframe applications
- Photoframe: full screen picture can now be displayed on double tap when in floating image mode
- Manual white balance setting has been added in Camera application
- Faster USB write transfer
- Battery: more accurate battery charge estimation
- Audio: improved compatibility with android audio stream volume management (voice/music/ringtone etc.)
- Orientation: fixed compatibility issue with some applications working with inverted accelerometer axis
At the same time, the new software solution comes to Archos' devices
with enhanced Microsoft Exchange support, offering users the possibility to synchronize contacts and calendar events.
Other modifications include the possibility to install third-party applications on the microSD memory card slot, which means that more of them can now be downloaded and installed on a device.
Although Archos announced that its slates
would receive Froyo, the company did not unveil specific info on when the software will be released, nor on how would users be able to download and install it.
Additional info on what the new Firmware Version 2.0.54 - Android "Froyo" 2.2.1 includes can be found on Archos' website here