Amongst the many enhancements brought with iPhone OS 3.1, Apple has included an anti-phishing feature, which protects users from malicious websites - “Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing),” the features list reads.
However, according to a report at The Loop, some users may not have installed the new feature properly. This has led to the false assumption that the new feature was faulty. As it turns out...
“Safari’s anti-phishing database is downloaded while the user charges their phone in order to protect battery life and ensure there aren’t any additional data fees,” Apple spokesman Bill Evans told The Loop. “After updating to iPhone OS 3.1 the user should launch Safari, connect to a Wi-Fi network and charge their iPhone with the screen off. For most users this process should happen automatically when they charge their phone.”
The report adds that the anti-phishing feature can only protect users against phishing websites provided that the iPhone has completely downloaded the database. This also allows Apple to update the anti-phishing database when needed, according to The Loop.
For those who haven’t yet updated to the new iPhone OS 3.1, a tutorial is available here. In addition to the anti-phishing feature, the new software brings improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos; iTunes U content organization; the ability to redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store; the ability to save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll, and more. Other key enhancements are listed below.
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store;
- Option to "Save as new clip" when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS;
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on;
- Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe;
- Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets;
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad;
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS;
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling;
- Fixes issue that causes some app icons to display incorrectly.