GV Connect, a native iPhone/iPod Touch application which allows users to interact with their existing "Google Voice" account faster than using the web interface, has been approved in the iTunes App Store.
Developed by Andreas Amann, GV Connect stores account passwords securely in the iPhone’s keychain for faster login when launching the application.
According to the developer, communication is done via secure connections (SSL) to the Google Voice servers and no contact information is sent to Google.
The contact's phone number, however, is required to place a call or send a message, therefore is sent to Google.
All operations are fully synchronized with the Google Voice account. An existing Google Voice account is required to use the application.
GV Connect costs $2.99. It is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad and requires iOS 3.0 or later.
A lengthy list of key features is provided in the app’s iTunes store description, with developer Andreas Amann noting that users must place calls using their Google Voice number, rather than their mobile number
“Enter number directly, select a contact from your device's contacts, or call back any number in your history,” Andreas explains.
The rest of the features are listed as follows:• Send and receive text messages (SMS) from your Google Voice number.
• Listen to voicemails and recorded conversations right on your device (allowing you to pause, rewind, or fast forward to any point within the message) - voicemails will also show the transcription of the message when available.
• Mark messages as starred, attach notes to conversations, block/unblock senders, or delete conversations.
• Easily search in your history by contact, message, or note.
• Messages are stored on your device for offline access.
• Composing notes and text messages can be done in landscape mode.
• Quickly change various Google Voice account settings (call forwarding, do-not-disturb, message notifications, …) directly from within the application.
• Automatic checking for new messages while the application is active.
• Direct access to your device's contacts without needing to synchronize them with Google
• All communication is done with the Google Voice website directly, no need to hand over your account information to a third-party.
• Full support for fast app switching in iOS4 and high-resolution graphics for retina displays.
Andreas notes that his app is experiencing an issue on some devices (mostly outside the US, he claims) “where the application is stuck in continually logging in.”
Andreas is currently investigating and hopes to have a fix soon.Download GV Connect ($2.99)