Based on the Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron) and compatible with its repositories, the Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1 operating system has been released today, and it is optimized for the tiny Asus Eee PC. The new version introduces a new interface, supports even more Asus Eee PCs than before, boots faster, and takes up less space. Not only that, but it also has everything we'd expect from an operating system, such as:
· Mozilla Firefox 3.0 (web browser)
· Mozilla Thunderbird (mail client)
· Pidgin (multi-protocol instant messenger)
· Skype (VoIP telephony and instant messenger)
· Transmission (BitTorrent client)
· OpenOffice.org (office suite)
· F-Spot (photo manager)
· Cheese (webcam capture)
· Movie and Music Player
· Desktop notes"Ubuntu Eee is not only Ubuntu optimized for the Asus Eee PC. It's an operating system, using the Netbook Remix interface, which favors the best software available instead of open source alternatives (ie. Skype instead of Ekiga)."
- says Jon Ramvi, Ubuntu Eee developer.
Ubuntu Eee looks nice and acts like it's supposed to – fast and furious! Unfortunately, we didn't have an Asus Eee PC to really test this operating system, but we have installed it instead on an ordinary computer. The installation is the same as the regular Ubuntu one.
The home page
of Ubuntu Eee offers a lot of interesting and useful tutorials, and a couple of fixes as well (if you want to further customize it or to improve some things). Go check it out here
So, if you own an Asus Eee PC, go get your copy of Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1 right now from here
. It's FREE! Oh, and don't forget to drop us a line or two about your experience with it.