Android-Based Archos 101 Starts Shipping
In Archos' world, the more Android-based tablet PCs are available for customers, the better, and the release of a new such device, the Archos 101, seems to confirm just that.The company already brought to the market other tablet PCs running under Google's Android operating system, including the Archos 70, which packs a 7-inch touchscreen display, and now it steps further on the Android road, with the 10-inch Android slate called Archos 101.
The new device can be seen on the company's website here. Two models are listed there, one with 8GB of storage space and another one with 16GB of included memory and, while one can not choose any of them for purchase, Engadget reports that the slate is already shipping.
Those who would like to try out one of the two flavors would have to pay $299.99 for the 8GB version, while the 16GB flavor would set you back $349.99.
For this amount of money, one would receive a pretty nice looking Android slate, capable of 720p video playback on that 10-inch touchscreen display that boasts a 1024 x 600 pixels resolution.
Of course, the tablet PC also comes with a nice range of connectivity options, including a HDMI out connection, but it won't offer access to the Android Market, so no app download and installation are available for users at the moment.
Here are the main features the company touts for this device:
- HD Multimedia: Play your favorite HD videos and view photos on the high resolution 10.1 inch capacitive touch screen
- Applications: Customize your device by downloading your favorite Android applications from AppsLib
- Internet: Surf the web in full width just like on your PC, and stay in contact by using the integrated email and contacts applications.
- Video Chat: Video chat with friends and family using the forward facing camera
- TV: Play out your favorite HD videos on a large screen TV with the HDMI out connection
- Expandable Storage Expand the storage capacity with the Micro SD card slot (SDHC compatible)
- WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth connectivity
- Shipping with Android 2.1 (upgradeable to 2.2 end of November)
Additional info on what the slate can offer was made available on the company's website here.
HOT RIGHT NOW